Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Too Easy T-Shirt Scarves

When I saw this idea, I just had to try it!

I couldn't wait to get to Goodwill and look for bold & rich colors and fun textures to mix and match and make these scarves!  I love the Goodwill in Lancaster just past the outlets... They have a Bargain Room with bins where everything is $.85.  Only a few years ago, everything was $.50.  Just a warning, it can be overwhelming!

I came home with a huge bag of XL sized t-shirts to start with (the more X's the better, for more material to work with and a longer scarf).

First, I paired up colors and textures that I thought would go well together.  I found that the best kind of t-shirt for this project is the kind that has a little spandex or stretchy-ness to it.

Next I cut out the middle section of the shirt, as wide as I could keep it.
 Cutting out the middle section makes a loop of fabric (you can stop here if you like your fabric and have a simple infinity scarf).  I cut one of the sides to make a long strip of fabric.
Lay the two pieces down like this:
The first time this looks tricky, but soon it is easy!  Reach your hand under the blue and grab the black pieces, then pull through.
It will look like this:
Now reach under the blue and grab the black pieces one more time.
In this picture, the two outside scarves are finished and the inside ones are not.  To complete the scarf, sew the ends together!
 I gave these as Christmas gifts to the girls at work!!  I love them so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this idea!! So creative! Was it difficult? By the way, I love the Goodwill you're talking about - I found the whole series of a mystery author that I like there - for like 10 cents each!