Monday, November 7, 2011

Salsa

When I went to pick up apples with Mom the other day, I also bought a half bushel of tomatoes for $4.50.    The only logical thing for a single person to do with that many tomatoes is....

MAKE SALSA!

I looked online for the first recipe, and found a good looking one at food.com.

Ingredients:



  • 14 cups chopped roma tomatoes 
  • cups onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup jalapeno pepper 
  • cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • tablespoons salt
  • tablespoon chili powder
  • tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • tablespoons Clear Jel, that will not break down in high heat during processing. don't substitute 
  • garlic buds minced 

  • Directions:  Chop all vegetables and place them into a saucepan.  Add remaining ingredients, mixing clear jell with water before adding slowly to veggies. Bring to a boil. Cold pack for 10 minutes.

  • Read the full recipe here.


    Clearly disobeying, I did not use the Clear Jel. 


    For the next batch of salsa, I used the same basic recipe, but cut out the cumin and chili powder and instead added habenero hot sauce. I was slightly disappointed each time when all I ended up with was two large cans of salsa (and a little left over to eat right away).


    Both batches turned out very different and so delicious!!






    No comments: