Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cheating without chemicals or fake light

Grandma Garber has been growing saffron for years.  This summer, she gave me a brown paper bag full of the bulbs, with clear instructions to plant them at the end of July or beginning of August.  Mental note to self:  August...  
I kept them in the sunroom for awhile and soon moved the bag to a shelf next to some books, and a bunch of dried herbs, teas, and seeds for next year.

Today is the 19th of November. I pulled out the bag, looking for a sweet jar to store my mint and realized that I had a bag full of beautiful purple flowers!! Tangled throughout their stems I found a piece of paper with Grandma's instructions.  Ooops!

each flower has 3 red stamens that get taken off and dried
the bag of bulbs, after I cut all the flowers off:
You can see why saffron is so expensive - it is a tedious process that produces a very small yield!

1 comment:

Josiah said...

Tonight I found out that mine did the exact same thing! Crazyness! How did they grow inside bag?