Sunday, November 13, 2011

Aubergine Parmesean

Anthony pointed out one day that it seems a little ridiculous that an eggplant isn't the name for the plant, but the fruit.  It does seem a little redundant to say "Look how big that eggplant plant is growing" or "I need to plant the eggplant plant I just bought at Hostetter's".
Lucky for him, there is a word that already exists for the fruit that is now trending in the USA, thanks to Abby and myself... We have an activity in the classroom I work that we call the "Shopping Activity".  The student gets a grocery list, and he has to find the things on it and put them in his shopping cart.  The first list my kid got included aubergines (and "tinned tuna")!

Recently Anthony showed me how to make eggplant parmesean.  Considering we didn't have bread crumbs (we tried raisin brain) or parmesean cheese (substituted cheddar), this was the perfect opportunity to try out the phrase Aubergine Parmesan. Delicious, even with substitutions!

Here, Kelly and I tried making Aubergine Parmesean with real bread crumbs and parmesean cheese...

First we cut the eggplant in 1" slices (the peel can stay on or come off).

Next, we dipped each slice in an egg-milk mixture and then into breadcrumbs.
Then we cooked them in a skillet until they were brown

Finally, we added tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and ate!

No comments: