Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pesto

My basil bush - a mess because of its size and the recent hurricane. I started this from seed in late winter... basil will get huge if it is kept in direct sunlight and if the tops are pinched off before it has a chance to go to seed.

I picked enough basil to get married in... then washed it and picked the leaves off of the stems.
The ingredients I used:

5 c. packed basil leaves
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. water
1/2 c. walnuts
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper

This recipe has a lot of flexibility, so make it to how you want it - I only measured the ingredients after I decided how much I wanted in (I only found this much cheese in my fridge, I love garlic, walnuts are cheaper than pine nuts, etc.).
The first time using my new food processor - $1 at a yard sale!
Lastly, I put the pesto into an ice cube tray and into the freezer. Later I'll pop them out and keep them frozen in a ziploc bag. There was even some left over that went straight into the fridge!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! $1 for a food processor! That's awesome! This pesto looks great. I never thought of making it with walnuts, but I will try since I always have those hand. Looking good!