Thursday, September 8, 2011

Stevia Extract

I have finally attempted to make my own stevia extract! Click here to see the article I used for guidance, and here to see my first post about growing stevia.

First, I cut a bunch off of my plant. Be sure to leave about 4 inches on the plant.
 After washing the stevia, I set it out to dry. Drying in the sun would be ideal, but because of the lovely weather patterns lately along with my patience level, using the dehydrator was my only option.
After it dried I stripped the leaves off of the stems.  I use old jars to store dried herbs (for teas and cooking) and seeds (for next year!)
 after it dried, I crushed it using a mortar and pestle

I decided to keep it as a powder and add it as needed.  
But after adding it to my tea I realized that it does not dissolve well!
so I boiled a cup of water and added the powder, stirring until it dissolved.  It left a lot of pulp, but the liquid stevia is intense!! I put a drop in my tea and it was perfect.

No comments: