Friday, July 15, 2011

Revisiting Charlestown Farm

On my way to housesitting in Villanova, I stopped in Phoenixville to spend some time with my friends Jenny and Naomi, who are interns at Charlestown Farm. See my post from my first visit in April! So good to see these ladies.

After eating lunch I spent some time helping Naomi peel garlic:

We spent most of the afternoon weeding:
Jenny and I weeding among flowers
Jess and Leslie
Check out the Cob Oven that this place has! I am hoping to stop by on the way back home in a little over a week to make pizza in this thing with the girls! The dome-shaped oven is made from a mixture of sand, straw, and soil. Inside, a wood fire is made and the coals are pushed aside to make room for bread or whatever is baking. I'm fascinated by this, and wish I had a permanent home that I could build one of these!
grapes growing green
Blueberries were just about over, but I still found some. Small, but delicious!
cherry berry
Naomi bringing home some leftover flowers
The next day, I slept in an hour or two :) and arrived just as Jenny and Hana were finishing up harvesting carrots. The morning was spent harvesting vegetables and preparing for the members to come in the afternoon to pick up their shares.

Jenny and Hana bringing in just-picked carrots!
The carrots were arranged into bunches as they were picked
and then I washed them
while Naomi washed and counted the cucumbers we all had just gathered
and the tomatoes sat and waited to be picked up by members. They did a great job, I must say.
Sunflowers ready and showing off beautiful Charlestown Farm!

3 comments:

Mitch said...

Baller!

Unknown said...

Wow, I loved reading this post! What a beautiful place! I love their garden with the flowers lined in between. Looks like a great trip!

Naomi said...

Come again and make pizza! It was so fun to have you.