Monday, July 11, 2011

Cherry Pie!

With the help of some friends, I made my first cherry pie yesterday... straight from the Mennonite Community Cookbook (thanks to Matt Keiser for finding this for me in a small bookshop in Honduras)! I think the only other pie I've ever made was an apple pie with Matt, out of this same book, and that was quite an experience.
Also thanks to my cousin Joella, who picked and pitted too many cherries on Friday and gave a ton to me!

Cherry Pie
2 1/2 cups sour cherries
1/3 cup cherry juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
Pastry for 2 (9 in) crusts

Combine cherries, juice, sugars, flavoring and tapioca.
Let stand for 15 minutes.
Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
Place crust or strips on top as preferred.
Bake at 425° for 10 minutes, then at 375° for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds de - licious!

I don't think I have the Menno Community Cookbook - I'll have to check it out!

Cheri said...

Tasted as good as it looks! Thanks for stopping by and bringing the pie.

Heidi said...

Is that Scott Kimmel? How do you know him? Your pie looks great!