Monday, July 18, 2011

Amaranth

Naomi made some delicious granola that I tried during my visit. She told me about amaranth, a grain she put into the granola. I was instantly attracted to it not only because it was in her amazing granola, but because I've been looking for new and exciting ingredients to add to my no-added sugar diet (more on that to come)!
Actually, the real reason I was so interested in this was because Naomi told me that if it is put into a hot pan with a bit of oil, it will pop just like popcorn! I just had to see this, so I bought some at Whole Foods this week and tried it myself:

amaranth grains
tiny little bundles of joy
about half of the grains popped, and the texture definitely changed!
Not only is this grain a source of cheap entertainment, it is gluten-free, very high in protein, high in lysine and high in iron. It has been around for over 8,000 years and was used by the Aztecs as a regular part of their diet.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Yay! I'm glad you tried and liked it :) I have also tried popping it in the bottom of a pot without oil, constantly swirling it, and I think I got more of them to pop (like 2/3). They probably taste better with the oil though.

Unknown said...

This is really cool! I've never heard of this grain before, but it sounds like a superfood! How does it taste if you eat it popped?

Where did you find this? I'd love to try it!

Jess said...

It definitely tasted like oil, so I'll have to figure out a better way to pop it. Naomi, does it ever pop when baking, or just in a pan? I don't really know how to describe it, I'll bring some home for you - I got it at Whole Foods!