Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Avocado Smoothies

Doesn't that sound disgusting?

But if you can muster the courage to taste one, then your thoughts might change.
Avocado smoothies are one of the most refreshing drinks I've ever had. It was much appreciated during the seemingly never-ending heat that we endured as teachers in Honduras. I'm thankful for the people who invented this masterpiece.


I had my first avocado smoothie in Indonesia at the end of my semester abroad. It's not uncommon to see this beverage on a menu in an Indonesian restaurant. It is served cold- a blend of milk, ice, and sugar, and garnished with a bit of chocolate.
It was easy for me to try because my roommate from Indonesia, Beddy, once had me try a bite of avocado sprinkled with sugar. I was hooked! Besides the occasional guacamole night, I made it a habit of emptying the insides of an avocado into a cup, adding sugar and powdered milk, mixing it with a spoon, and eating the paste. Since avocados "only" costed 1,000 rupia (or, 10 cents) in the highlands of Papua, I had an avocado this way nearly every day!

Avocados are incredibly high in potassium, by the way. Much more so than a banana, even. One of my favorite factoids, and I got it from wikipedia... who would've guessed?

Go ahead... try one for yourself!

No comments: